Ah look! I get to use up more of that roast turkey. We have so much left over, the fuzzball is getting turkey for dinner. (Spoiled cat much?)
Adapted from the Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook with some advice from my Cooking Guru.
2 lb turkey (if you don’t have any cooked, there’s cooking instructions below)
1 c cream
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
5 Tbsp butter
2 sm yellow onion, diced
5 Tbsp flour
1 c chicken broth, warm
1/4 c dry white wine (optional)
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 package Pillsbury pie crust or your favorite crust recipe
1 Tbsp water
If you have uncooked turkey, you will need an additional 1 cup of cream.
To cook turkey:
1. ) Put the turkey in an oven pan and cover with additional cup of cream and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.
Once you have cooked meat. ^.~:
1. ) Cut turkey into 1 inch squares.
2. ) Blanche carrots in salted water for 3 minutes. Add zuccini and cook 1 minute more. Drain and run under cold water to stop cooking.
3. ) In another pan, melt the butter. Once completely meted, add the onions and saute for 5 minutes.
4. ) Turn down the heat and add the flour, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
5. ) Add the broth and continue stirring, cooking until it’s thickened.
6. ) Add the cream (and wine if you’ve decided to use it), the salt, pepper, and tarragon. Cook over low heat for a few minutes, making sure everything is mixed.
7. ) Add the vegetables and the turkey.
8. ) You are now ready to fill your pies. If you’re using a bottom crust, bake for a few minutes before filling, if not, into the pan the filling goes. Top with crust and brush with egg mixed with water. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
I have three little pies in the freezer, covered in tin foil to be eaten for lunch when I have nothing to make. I’ll let you know if that works.
Edit: Frozen and then cooked, they are GREAT!
1. ) Pull the pie out of the freezer and either let it thaw or if you’re in a bit more of a rush put into a 200 degree oven for 30 mins.
2. ) Turn up to 425 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.